St Francis Q&A

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Lunch at the White House

Yesterday (2/13), I had lunch at the White House! A buddy of mine works as an assistant to the President, and he invited me and a guest for lunch. So, my Mom (I'm such a good son!) and I met him in the West Wing lobby at noon! As we were walking down to the West Wing restaurant (designed by Mrs. Kennedy to look like a Navy mess hall on a ship), my buddy pointed out the room to the Oval Office, and said, "the President's in there". Too cool!

We had a great meal, and were able to sit near some of the big whigs there - WH Chief of Staff, e.g. I had the West Wing Burger (the sophisticated guy that I am) which was pretty tasty, and then a chocolate cake/cupcake that was amazing. My Mom really enjoyed herself, and loved meeting and eating with my buddy. He then said that he had an extra ticket to the ceremony in the East Room with the President and the Chicago White Sox, and asked if I wanted to go. Uhh, yeah!

So, the next thing I know I'm walking through the halls and corridors of the White House, just like you'd see in the movies- guards and all. We went up to a lobby where there was a small orchestra playing their tunes, and who do I see all over the place, but the Chicago White Sox! I met several of them, and wished them congrats for winning the World Series (I am a big baseball fan, but have to admit I didn't know many of their faces).

Then, we went into the East Room, and were seated next to Illinois senators, congressmen, the Mayor of Chicago, and some Cabinet members. Then, the Prez walked in. He walked right by me, and that seemed a bit surreal because he was so close to me. He gave a cool talk, and even looked right at me (I was in the Roman collar) when saying about one of the White Sox players, "the Lord has blessed you indeed". I gave a huge smile to Bush as he said this. After the ceremony, I was able to chat with some more of the White Sox players and coaches, even some that used to be on the Orioles (life long O's fan, here). Quite a thrill!

The experience for me was a lot of fun, but also pretty telling. Inside those doors, those politicians and ball players were just normal guys whom I could just walk up to and talk with normally. I was very comfortable, and not nervous at all. I guess if you spend much time in the presence of the Almighty, being in the presence of powerful people on earth just doesn't phase you that much.

2 Comments:

  • that is the coolest ever.....you are soooo lucky to eat in the WH

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:46 PM  

  • Good news...you've done something that few of us will ever get to do.

    Bad news...it's all downhill from here. I was gonna make you stake tonight, but I guess we should just serve up some burgers and dogs!

    Great story. You can tell us how you converted them all to Catholicism later.

    By Blogger Ty Roach, at 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Web Site Counter
Counters