St Francis Q&A

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Ideas to promote Adoration?

Fri (9/14): DC ‘Hood vs. St Martin’s, 7 pm, @ Bohrer Park Activity Center, 506 South Frederick Ave, Gaithersburg Md 20877
------------------------------------------------
We have had many, many comments on this blog about the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. I’ve included some of them below; they are insightful and inspiring. They help to reveal what I have noticed myself: that there has been a “surge” (ooh, that may not be the best word to use these days) regarding the Eucharist here at St. Andrew’s, at least in awareness and maybe in belief, too. So, I have a question: if there is a growing awareness and belief that Jesus is truly present in the Eucharist, then how can we promote Eucharistic Adoration (where the Eucharist is exposed every Friday on the altar at SAA from 7-8 pm) in a better way to our parishioners?

I am aware that it’s one thing to express belief on a blog site and quite another to live it in the real world. Nevertheless, what we are expressing here is that the Eucharist is the Body of Christ, and that we truly believe that it is Him who is exposed on Friday nights. In other words, we truly believe that we can go and see Jesus for up to an hour! I would think that that realization would lead people to Adoration at least on some Fridays. I love those who come, but have been a bit surprised that more people haven’t been coming the past few weeks or months.

My idea to promote Adoration (in addition to the blog site and occasionally in my homilies) is to give out some kind of magnets for people to put on their fridges. They could have the Mass times, Confession schedule, and Adoration time. It may just be that people forget about these things week after week, and that might help to remind them. Other ideas??
------------------------------------------------------
“This past year, I was privy to others' comments regarding the Eucharist. I can't tell you I was surprised at their belief that the Eucharist is a symbol, and these people felt that Christ's presence in church during Mass and Adoration was in spirit only. The funny thing is that these same people are teaching their children differently. One person told me that she didn't believe that the Eucharist is the real presence but was hoping her daughter would grow up believing it. It was like she was saying that this belief was beyond her capacity. So, I think one answer to your question is starting with the young. It's what I am committed to in my family. In fact, my daughter would tell you that she actually touched Jesus and would expect you to stand in awe of that fact.”

“Until this past year at SAA, I, although I am sure I was taught the significance of the Eucharist in school, didn't HEAR that message until Fr. Greg kept saying it, and saying it, and saying it.... Many I have spoken to have had the same experience”


“I’ve felt hopeless to describe the sense of peace I experience in receiving the Eucharist- like, no matter what else is going on in my life, in that moment, it was the perfect thing. I can’t adequately explain why one hour of Adoration each Friday is something to which I look forward.”


“How can we as laypeople, catechists, teachers, parents, and priests become better witnesses for Christ's presence in the Eucharist?”


“Eucharistic adoration is the most concrete expression of our adoration of God. Fixing our gaze on the Host we cannot but be aware of our nearness to God." - Saint Peter Julian Eymard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Web Site Counter
Counters