St Francis Q&A

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"What a sweet thing to say"

1) “The Light is on for you” - Confessions will be heard every Wednesday during Lent from 6:30-8 pm in the Church.

2) 6:30 am Mass on Mondays and Fridays during Lent (in addition to the 8:30 daily Mass).
-------------------------------------
“19 year old thoughts” recently posted the following insightful comment:


As a 19 year old college student, I periodically read this blog site. This is the first time I have responded to a post. After reading the debate on the approach to take when dealing with our teens and sex education, it occurred to me that parents have a really hard job. I have not been the easiest, most obedient teen in the world. Yet, I do not consider myself without morals or good judgment. And yes, I have heard that 19 year olds do not have enough worldly knowledge to make good decisions.

And yes, I have made mistakes, but who hasn’t? I think our capacity to make good decisions, is often underestimated.Where do parents draw the line on what to and what not to teach? Will the approach used for me work with my siblings? Is there really a right way to teach, to guarantee that I will think and act like you, the teacher, think I should?

I am grateful for several things:

My parents, despite their differences, are still married. I have witnessed the strength and faith this takes. The standing joke is that their marriage has been like 23 minutes……. (pause, thinking, what a sweet thing to say….) under water. Perhaps humor has helped in their journey together.

Their work ethic- taught through their actions and words.

The homemade dinners - together and at times chaotic, at our kitchen table, as often as everyone’s individual schedule allows.

Their love and support - when I make mistakes they are there for me, with guidance, not always gentle I might add, to help me as I admit and accept responsibility for my choices.

Their perspective on life – it is painted with color and it is a never ending journey. New shades and brush strokes are always available, if we look, if we hope, if we try.

Their advice - it is often better to listen than to speak. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and in many cases, there is no right or wrong answer, there are no guarantees in life. It is not our place to judge what others see and believe.

Their faith – in us and our decisions, and above all, God.

Thanks Mom and Dad for teaching and exposing me to the concept of subjectivity, for giving me the confidence to make decisions and for your understanding that I am doing the best I can. Thanks for the love, respect and guidance while I try and figure out where I belong in this world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Web Site Counter
Counters